5.29.2006

Update on Literature I; Update on Writing I

Listening to: Incubus Wish you were here

Well I managed to start writing again. No, not just writing in this blog. I started writing my story again.

I have to say I’m pretty impressionable if I am getting such influence from my Law and Literature class. I also have to state that I am going to have to sit down and read all of Kafka’s works, and yes the numerous English translations. From my Translation class we explored not only numerous versions of Kafka’s Metamorphisis, but the translator, the critics, and the critics of the critics. If I beg for mercy can I be content to saying, Kafka is good minor literature and is influencing my writing as far as law based, literature can. I found his Trial is going to be one of my favorite works to read and re-read. I have never felt this impacted by any author on a personal and academic level.

I have to read Faust now. I’m sure once I get past the hard language I will be able to gleam lots from it. At the least, I can see all the connections it has made on later culture. A witch with monkey’s I wonder if that showed up anywhere else. Apparently there was a real Faust, but he was overshadowed by this supernatural Faust. Thankfully, I know where the Mephistopheles references were coming from. That kept flying right over my head when someone would say, “I made a deal with Mephistopheles.” Now I know, Yo-Joe.

I have to also read Posner, which I am not looking forward to. The man is a judge and I don’t hear good things in class about his writing. The professor wanted a text to bounce discussions off of. This is ideal I guess. I’m just going to go with it. I’ll have more to say when I read and catch up on that. His text Law and Literature is actually our main textbook for the class. Go figure.

No comments: