5.03.2006

Paint it Black, a focus

Listening to Ottmar Liebert with Luna Negra, and The Waterdogs respective renditions of Paint it Black

Tonight has not been the best example of my decision making process concerning music transitions. Ottmar Liebert and Luna Negra’s version of Paint it Black is almost twice as long, fast yet slow, but soothing. I am full of such diverse terminology in regards to music. I get to The Waterdogs’ version of Paint it Black, and the transition reminds me of when my brother showed me how he could change gears and use his engine to break his car. Basically, one notices a difference.

Listening to Ottmar Leibert with Luna Negra, The Waterdogs, The Rolling Stones original Mono version, The Rolling Stones Aftermath Remastered version, Steve Fister, and The Hampton String Quartet respective renditions of Paint it Black.

I just realized I liked the guitar versions of this song so much, but I never had the original Rolling Stones version. So I had to buy it off Napster, plus some other versions. Now when I want my Paint it Black kick I can really drive it home. Picture a fist in the air. That’s the drive it home visual I want you to have.

Steve Fister’s version if played loudly will probably be the one to pierce my ears, and I thought The Waterdogs was the intense version. Fister’s is just more shrill, but it is more refined, if I can call it that. Not as much, “let’s see how hard we can play this as a group,” which seems to define the Waterdog’s version. Fister sounds more like he likes his solo on the guitar. Steve Fister’s version also has what sounds like a miniscule amount of Middle Eastern flair with occasional bits of repetitive zany sitcom-ish beats. Guess which one I am listening to at this exact moment.

I contemplated getting another artist’s version, but it sounded like it fell between The Waterdogs and the Rolling Stones versions. The artist sang and it sounded like a warbled version of the Stones. Sounded nice, but it didn’t stand out enough for right now. I can’t believe I already forgot the artist’s name, and it was so distinct.

I meant this to be a post on something else, but I got so caught up in this that I had a hard time thinking of anything else, especially once I wanted the Stone’s version.

No comments: