5.03.2006

Amaretto Peppermints Rhapsody Session

Contractions baffle me. I am not concerned with world hunger because I have a cure for that. Lot’s of uncorrupted communism. I am sorry; I meant to say, “Sharing.” I could be concerned with cancer, but I am not mathematically or scientifically inclined so the best I could do is support a walk.

Are Contractions of concern, are they a sign of laziness, or are they useful. I almost wonder if it sounds more proper to speak out, “I am” instead of “I’m,” or “will not,” instead of “won’t.” I sometimes get the impression that it is a slang that everyone uses without thinking about. It is no better or worse than “ain’t.”

On one side, contractions serve to shorten the long conversations you want to end with someone you do not want to speak to. Think of the precious second here or there, because we are in a hurry to communicate.

On the other side, I think, “Can’t we get married?” sounds worse than, “Can we not get married?”

I am more likely to give someone a brownie point for not using a contraction. I think it sounds more intelligent, the speech less hurried and more thoughtful. Of course when one desires to communicate a lot, it may not hurt to cut corners. I don’t think anyone really cares.

No comments: